The Douro, Oporto & Salamanca - MS Douro Elegance
The Douro is one of Europe’s most photogenic river valleys with tourism being almost completely undeveloped. Furthermore the topography has prevented extensive riverside roads to be built. You immediately feel you are discovering something the masses are completely unaware of.
Commencing in the Roman city of Oporto the home of Port wine, Portugal’s once wild river Douro has been tamed by locks into resembling a series of finger lakes adding greatly to the valleys ambience. Leaving behind the Atlantic influenced greenery of the coast you are soon immersed in a Mediterranean-land of olives, vines, and picturesque, medieval hilltop villages. Our destination is the higher reaches of the valley from where we visit Salamanca home of one of Europe’s oldest universities, two of its finest cathedrals, Spain’s finest city square and even the Inquisition.
You will adore the away from it all experience and visit some of Iberia’s most beautiful medieval towns, monastery’s and vineyards and feel you have been away for months.
For all 2018 departures we now offer a drinks package, at a cost of £99 per person for this cruise. This includes the following with lunch and dinner: draught beer; non-alcoholic beer; soft drinks; juices; red, white and rose house wines; and wine recommendations from the menu.
The drinks package must be added to your booking prior to departure you can do this by calling the reservations team. If you choose not to purchase a drinks package, or you are travelling in 2017, there is a vast selection of drinks on board each ship available for individual purchase.
- Guided tour of Oporto with visit to Port Wine cellars
- Scenic cruising through the picturesque Douro Valley with its dramatic cliffs and vineyards
- Enjoy a full day excursion to Salamanca with guided tour and Flamenco show
- Tour to the castle and medieval village of Castelo Rodrigo
- Traditional music recital with dance display Guided tour of Mateus Palace and gardens
- Experience dinner at a typical Portuguese quinta
- Visit to the picturesque town of Lamego and its Sanctuary of Our Ladies of Remedy church
- Lunch at Alpendurada Monastery overlooking the river
- Return flights from selected airports
- Seven night's full-board cruise accommodation
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).