Switzerland’s Bernese Oberland
Victorian tourism began in Interlaken below the snowy Jungfrau and pearl of the Swiss Oberland. Travel by steamer, cable car and mountain railway experiencing Switzerland’s finest sights. Spectacular scenery, picture postcard villages, the gentle tinkling of cowbells drifting across lush green pastures, elegant hotels, spotless streets, superb service and a tradition of splendid hospitality… all these delights are yours to enjoy on a journey to the heart of the stunning Swiss Alps.
Staying in Interlaken, the pearl of the quintessential Bernese Oberland, world tourism was literally born here and has been at the heart of the welcoming town of Interlaken since Victorian times. You’ll explore the delights of Interlaken itself, ride to the legendary mountain resort of Grindelwald and to Meiringen where Sherlock Holmes met his fate. You’ll take in the stunning mountain views fromKleine Scheidegg, including the infamous Eiger North Wall. You’ll visit beautiful Lake Oeschinen and the world famous city of Lucerne. You’ll ride to the top of the Rothorn by steam train and cruise the placid Swiss lakes by steamer, with ever-present soaring peaks reflected in the shimmering water.
Switzerland is not just about lakes and mountains, stunning though they are. On one of the free days, you could visit Bern, the country’s picturesque capital. With its cobbled streets, picturesque arcades and painted fountains, its charming medieval historic centre surrounding its gothic cathedral has remained largely untouched since the 15th century. Included is a trip to beautiful Lucerne which has always attracted visitors, including our own Queen Victoria. Drawn by its beautiful lakeside location and distinguished by its 14th century Chapel Bridge, a wooden walkway originally built as a defensive work, now the unique symbol of this most regal of cities.
The legendary Swiss rail network is rightly regarded as the world’s finest, famously operating like clockwork. Your holiday includes a Bernese Oberland Regional Pass which gives unlimited access to a huge variety of railways and post bus routes throughout the region.
All this makes Interlaken the perfect base for a holiday exploring some of the world’s finest scenery, picture perfect towns, villages and unique vibrant cities. This superb and varied tour includes two free days for you to choose your own preferred itinerary, plus five days of planned touring exploring the very best the region offers. This fabulous holiday is the perfect way to experience the jewel at the heart of Europe that is Switzerland’s iconic Bernese Oberland.
View 'Five photos that will want to make you visit Switzerland' on the Riviera Travel Blog here. Taken onthis tour!
- Seven nights four-star accommodation in Interlaken in an excellent hotel displaying the true tradition of Swiss hospitality, with dinner
- Four days of planned touring
- Two days free with your own personal itinerary and included Swiss Regional Pass
- Breathtakingly beautiful scenery - mountains, lakes and valleys
- Travel by a combination of rail, post bus and lake steamer
- A dramatic mountain railway ride past the majestic Jungfrau, Mönch and Eiger then Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald, some of the world’s finest alpine scenery
- A visit to Brienz and another breathtaking ride on the Brienz Rothorn cog railway
- A spectacular cable car ride to beautiful Lake Oeschinen
- A visit to Lucerne and its picturesque waterfront
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
- Return flights
- Selected departures from June to October 2019
- View 'Five photos that will want to make you visit Switzerland' on the Riviera Travel Blog here. Taken on this tour!
- The price of this holiday is per person based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms are subject to availability at a supplement of £419. The price includes return flights, airport departure taxes, seven nights’ accommodation with breakfast and dinner, all transfers and transport using a 2nd class 6-day Bernese Oberland Pass and all touring as mentioned plus the services of a Riviera Travel tour manager.
- Things to Note
- The opening and closing dates of some mountain railways may be subject to weather conditions.
- Some places or routes suggested for your ‘free’ days may be subject to entrance fees or a supplement.
- In Switzerland, beds are often one bed base with two mattresses and individual bed linen.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).