Switzerland, the Matterhorn & the Glacier Express
Spectacular mountain scenery … the iconic and unmistakeable Matterhorn… dramatic rides on railways, chair lifts and cable cars… awe-inspiring views of glaciers and summits… gentle valley slopes and lush meadows disturbed only by cowbells and chalets… this is Switzerland at its most wonderful! And you’ll enjoy the very best that this unique country has to offer during eight remarkable days that will stay with you forever.
Switzerland is world famous for its cleanliness, its clockwork efficiency and its welcoming, friendly people – as well of course as for its astonishingly beautiful Alpine landscapes.There’s little to compare anywhere in the world with the mighty Matterhorn – the ultimate Alpine peak and Swiss national symbol. You can admire it from a quiet café or a horse-drawn carriage in the little town of Zermatt – or get up closer if you take the dramatic cog railway to the Gornergrat at over 10,000 feet.
Three of the country's best railway journeys are included in this tour: the Centovalli Railway carries you through a “hundred valleys” to lakeside Locarno,with deep ravines, chestnut forests and tiny villages all around you. The legendary ‘Glacier Express’ will transport you 120 kilometres past stunning mountain scenery, waterfalls, ravines and rivers. Whilst the UNESCO World Heritagerailway of the Bernina Express will take you through St Moritz and some of Europe's highest and wildest mountain scenery across the border to Italy.But this tour also takes us into the seductive arms of Italy ... to Lake Maggiore, and the charming lakeside resort of Stresa, where you can walk in the footsteps of Europe’s 19th century aristocracy who first crossed the border to experience their first taste of Italy in the days of the ‘Grand Tour’.
- Return scheduled flights from London Heathrow, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff & Edinburgh
- Seven nights’ accommodation in three and four-star hotels with breakfast and dinner
- Visit Zermatt and the iconic Matterhorn, probably the world’s most instantly recognisable peak
- Travel on the breathtaking Glacier Express, one of the world’s greatest travel experiences
- Enjoy a trip on the Bernina Express, another world-class railway journey
- Visit Montreux on the shores of Lake Geneva, known as the ‘Swiss Riviera’
- Travel on the charming Centovalli Railway, across a ‘hundred scenic valley’s’ to Locarno
- Cross Italy’s fabulous Lake Maggiore by private launch visiting delightful Stresa
- Stay in the picturesque Swiss Alpine village of Klosters
- Escorted throughout by our experienced tour manager
- The price of this holiday is per person based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms are subject to availability at a supplement of £159 per person. The price includes return scheduled flights; seven nights’ accommodation with breakfast and dinner at the Victoria Hotel in Brig and the Silvretta Parkhotel in Klosters; return transfers; all touring as mentioned; train from Taschto Zermatt; standard class journeys on the Glacier Express, Centovalli railway and Bernina Express; boat cruise on Lake Maggiore; services of an experienced Riviera tour manager
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).