Stockholm & Copenhagen
Once two of Europe’s strongest nations, rich with the footprints of the Vikings and the Hanseatic League wonderfully contrasted modern ‘Scandinavia’. You will love their ‘civilised’ atmosphere. Think of Sweden and Denmark and a host of unique images immediately spring to your mind. Quaint, historic capitals rich with the architectural legacies of the Hanseatic League; pristine streets, wide-open spaces; a love of nature and respect for the environment; home of the Vikings, modern monarchies; peace-loving and some of the most pleasant people you will ever meet. All this is true but there really is so much more.You may find it surprising that Denmark and Sweden were two of medieval Europe's most powerful nations. Today both are littered with countless legacies: rich palaces rivalling Europe's finest burst with art and antiques; sleepy thatched villages with exquisite churches abound plus atmospheric gabled towns with delightful cobbled streets and typically Baltic historical centres everywhere. There are significant Viking remains and a host of museums to visit, indeed Stockholm itself has over 100 including a fascinating one dedicated to the Nobel Prizes.
Both cities have played host to royalty since the Viking age and their palaces and wonderful parks, set against a stunning background of picturesque lakes, canals and natural harbours, create a majestic framework for today's vibrant modern capitals where queues are rare, graffiti is even rarer and litter is almost unknown. Colourful waterfronts hark back to the great Viking traditions of yesteryear with a host of cultural delights from the Dark Ages to the ultra-modern of today.
- Sightseeing tour of Stockholm and its colourful, medieval old town of ‘Gamla Stan’
- Guided tour of Sweden’s Royal Palace with its lavish rooms filled with sumptuous furnishings and state regalia - entrance included
- Stockholm Travelcard allowing you to make the most of your free time in the city
- Visit to Roskilde including the Cathedral
- Enjoy a guided tour of the Vasa Museum, Scandinavia’s most visited museum, and marvel at the world’s only preserved 17th-century ship
- Visit the Viking museum on the remains of an ancient harbour, with its collection of 11th century ships – entrance included
- Visit to Fredericksborg Slot palace and gardens, a baroque masterpiece known as the Nordic Versailles – entrance included
- Sightseeing tour of Copenhagen, centred on the charming Nyhavn Harbour, one of Europe’s most picturesque waterfronts
- Travel on a high-speed train from Stockholm to Copenhagen
- Return travel from a selection of regional airports, plus all hotel transfers
- Six nights in centrally located four-star accommodation, including all local taxes, with breakfast
- Services of our experienced tour manager
- Selected departures from up to September 2018
- The price of this holiday is per person based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms are subject to availability at the relevant single supplement. The price includes return flights, airport departure taxes and transfers, six nights’ accommodation with breakfast, all tours as mentioned, guided tour of Stockholm, tour of Sweden’s Royal Palace, high speed train from Stockholm to Copenhagen, guided tour of Copenhagen, visit to Fredericksborg Slot, Visit to Roskilde Viking Museum and Roskilde Cathedral, and the services of a Riviera Travel tour manager.