“Piazza Armenia is home to one of the archaeological gems of the ancient world” - Andrew Graham-Dixon
Sicily - that beautiful island off the southern-most tip of Italy is one of the few places in Europe that genuinely can be called unspoilt! Its scenery has a natural and varied beauty that is truly breathtaking. Rugged, sometimes snow-capped mountains reaching for the sky are interspaced with rich meadows, adorned with wild flowers: during spring and autumn, spectacularly green and lush, yet during the sun-scorched summer, transformed into pastel shades of greens, yellows and browns. Citrus and olive groves stretch into the distance and abundant pine forests lend the air that unmistakeable Mediterranean aroma. Punctuated by the occasional farmhouse and Tuscan-like hilltop village the countryside is remarkably empty. The island has a spectacularly indented coastline, with sweeping bays and blood-red volcanic rocks plunging into the deep blue sea, and snow-capped Mount Etna providing a magnificent backdrop. At the crossroads of almost every Mediterranean civilisation, home to the richest cities in the Greek Empire, Sicily was conquered by Rome, the Moors, Normans, Spanish, French and finally the Italians. Their magnificent relics include temples, amphitheatres, churches, monasteries, villas and atmospheric old towns, with many being the most outstanding of their type in the world.
With an enviable climate, a fabulous cuisine plus some of the most accommodating and friendly people you will find anywhere, Sicily is an excellent destination to discover and you will be made welcome on this beautiful island.
- Return flights
- Seven nights in four-star hotels with breakfast and dinner
- Guided tour of Agrigento's Valley of the Temples
- Guided tour of Monreale's medieval cathedral and cloisters
- Visit to Palermo, Sicily’s capital with its medieval and baroque centre
- Visit to Taormina – one of Italy’s most beautiful and stylish hilltop villages
- Visit to Siracusa - city of Archimedes
- Visit to Mount Etna - Europe's largest active volcano
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
- The price of this holiday is per person, based on two people sharing a twin room. Single and Sea View rooms are subject to availability at the relevant supplement. The price includes return flights as indicated, seven nights dinner, bed and breakfast, all coach tours as mentioned, air conditioned coach travel in Italy, guided tours of Valley of the Temples, Villa at Piazza Armerina and Monreale; visits to Palermo, Siracusa and Etna, services of a Riviera tour manager. Where hotels feature a swimming pool, pools are open in the summer months weather permitting.
- Not included: Mount Etna exploration: cable car only €30, or cable car, jeep and compulsory guide €60, Ortygia boat trip €10, approximate costs, payable locally.
- Ocassionally the opening times of the places of interest vary, and if this happens we may have to change the order of events.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).