Rome - Ancient & Baroque
Rome was, is, and probably always will be, one of the world’s most compelling cities with probably more to see here than in any other capital on earth. Boasting an uninterrupted recorded history for upwards of 2,500 years, nowhere else seems to have managed to combine, and with such finesse, a heritage of classical antiquities, and medieval buildings from Renaissance palaces to intricate Baroque piazzas. From the grandeur of the Colosseum, scene of some of the most cruel acts ever committed, the Appian Way where Spartacus was crucified, the magnificence of St. Peter’s, the grandeur of the Vatican, the sheer brilliance of the Sistine Chapel, to the Trevi Fountain and flamboyant Baroque buildings – the list is endless. But Rome is much more than monuments, incredible though they are! A city is nothing without people and Rome’s citizens have been amongst the most colourful in history with probably nowhere on earth having been visited by so many of the world’s most famous characters: Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, Nero, Attila the Hun, St Peter, the Medici, Michelangelo, Napoleon, Byron, Garibaldi, Mussolini and Pope Jean-Paul II – all captivated by its magnificence.
The vivacious, emotional and noisy Italians of today however, still add to this very unique atmosphere: the best-dressed and most stylish people on the planet, senior citizens immaculately turned out, the fashion-conscious young astride their vespas - sunglasses everywhere, a country where image is everything! The shopping is legendary too with no other country being home to so many famous ‘labels’: Gucci, Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, plus many more, in fact another endless list! It costs nothing to look and not everything is of the designer variety. You will find some very good value items, particularly leather goods. Italy also boasts one of the world’s greatest cuisines.
Far from being pizza and pasta, one of the first things that really strikes you about visiting a restaurant here, is how deeply embedded in the culture food and drink really is. Fresh vegetables and salads abound, with succulent meats, seafood, a hint of garlic, the finest olive oil, combined with wonderful wines, creating simple, tasty, wholesome and healthy menus. Add all this together and you have a superb destination, simultaneously educating, entertaining and relaxing! The best way to explore this wonderful city is to wander where your feet take you, through its beautiful piazzas lined with layers of history, where the smell of fresh coffee drifts from the numerous cafés. Admire its monuments, meet its people, sample its food and let your mind be carried away into the magnificent past of what has always been, and always will be, one of the world’s most truly beautiful and historic cities
Personalise Your Holiday
Twilight Trastevere Food Tour - £79pp
A 4 hour guided walking tour explores the vibrant and ancient neighbourhood of Rome’s Trastevere region, indulging in over 10 food and wine tastings at some of the most historic and locally loved places. You will meet the families who have created foodie treasures for generations. Taste everything from; the finest cheeses ;the freshest homemade pasta; the tastiest street food; visit legendary third generation delicatessens, taste wines in a cellar that’s a 150 years older than the Colosseum plus probably the tastiest ice-cream in the city!
This cannot be booked online, please call us to pre-book this experience.
- Return flights
- Four nights bed and breakfast accommodation at a centrally located four-star hotel
- Guided tour of Baroque Rome – flamboyant yet elegant, the city of the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps
- Guided tour of ancient Rome – home to the Colosseum, the Forum and the capital of one of the world’s mightiest ever empires
- Timed visit to the Villa Borghese – home of some of the city’s finest museums, with artefacts from throughout Rome’s history plus one of the world’s finest
- 'Personalise Your Holiday'Indulge in over 10 tastings at some of Rome’s foodie favourites. On this 4-hour tour, sample everything from the finest cheeses, the freshest pasta, wines in a cellar older than the Colosseum, and much more. Call us to pre-book this experience.
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
- The price of this holiday is per person, based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms subject to availability at a supplement of £159per person. The price includes return flights as indicated and four nights with breakfast based on two people sharing a twin room, airport departure taxes, all tours as mentioned, timed entrance to the Villa Borghese and the services of a Riviera tour manager.
- Not included
- Twilight Trastevere Food Tour.£79 per person - See'Personalise Your Holiday' for details.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).