This wonderful tour visits some of the most fascinating and beautiful sights, straddling the banks of the majestic river Rhine, itself one of Europe’s most picturesque rivers. Firstly we visit Aachen, originally a Roman spa town and administrative centre of one of the most northerly parts of their empire. Then it shot to prominence as Charlemagne’s capital of the Holy Roman Empire, which at its height dominated much of present day France, Spain, Belgium and even parts of Germany and Italy! Today there is a wealth of history on display. Then it’s on to the most picturesque stretch of the Rhine valley, its gorge. Vine-covered hillsides crowned by half-ruined castles on seemingly every summit, with picturesque halftimbered houses and picture postcard villages such as Boppard and St Goar nestle on every sweeping bend on this majestic river.
Next we have Heidelberg, one of the most romantic cities you will find anywhere: from its once great castle to the romantic cobbled streets of the historic old city, it has a charm and atmosphere, which has lured distinguished visitors for centuries. At Strasbourg we cross the river like millions before us, both in peace and war, to this symbol of reconciliation and seat of the European Parliament. The city is a delight with its centre largely unchanged since the 14th century, a mosaic of winding alleys and lanes lined with quirkily crooked, half-timbered houses. During periods of its history Strasbourg has been both German and French, and today you can see this influence in its language, cuisine and appearance, creating a truly individual city. Then to Colmar, almost embarrassingly perfect - a typically quaint medieval Alsatian town, which provides a suitable finale to this wonderful tour.
- Return rail connections available on selected dates from more than 30 regional stations
- Return standard class Eurostar and TGV (French high-speed train)
- Six nights three-star or four-star accommodation, plus two dinners
- Visit to Aachen – capital of Charlemagne
- Tour the romantic Rhine River valley
- Guided tour of baroque Heidelberg, seat of one of Europe’s oldest and most prestigious universities
- Visit to the Black Forest
- Tour of the scenic wine road in Alsace
- Guided tour of Strasbourg, one of France’s most beautiful cities
- Visit to Colmar, one of the most perfectly preserved medieval towns in France
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
- The price of this holiday is per person, based on two people sharing a twin room. In Germany "twin" rooms are often a double bed with two mattresses and individual bed linen. Single rooms are subject to availability at a supplement of £185 per person. The holiday includes return standard class Eurostar, TGV and coach transport as mentioned, six nights bed and breakfast accommodation and two dinners as mentioned, all tours as mentioned, services of a Riviera tour manager.
- Please note there is a £10, £20, £25or £50 supplement for certain regional stations.