Rhine & Moselle River Cruise - MS William Shakespeare
Explore the historic cities of the mighty Rhine and the quintessential half-timbered wine villages of the serene Moselle, its banks lined with ancient ruined castles and impossibly steep terraced vineyards. Following embarkation in Cologne, we meander south on the Rhine to Rudesheim, visiting the old town of Koblenz and then to Boppard, known as ‘the Pearl of the Rhine’ en route. Cruising through the Rhine Gorge, we experience spectacular scenery, emerald vineyards and a landscape studded with houses and picturesque villages.
Our journey then takes us upstream and then along the Moselle river calling in the delightful town of Cochem and the romantic twin village of Traben-Trarbach. At our furthest port of call, Bernkastel, we also visit Trier, the oldest city in Germany, famous for its Roman amphitheatre, baths and the imposing Porta Nigra, the huge fortified gate that formed the eastern border of the Roman Empire.
Cruising back downstream, we have time to relax and absorb the stunning scenery along the Moselle valley, rejoining the Rhine and heading north, to Cologne. Here we take a guided city tour seeing the stunning cathedral with the most intricate stained glass in Europe.
All in all a spectacular and relaxing cruise in some of the finest landscape that Germany has to offer, appreciated from a most privileged vantage point.
- Visit to Boppard, the picturesque ‘Pearl of the Rhine’
- Time to explore the hillside town of Rüdesheim - the most famous of the Rhine’s wine towns
- Cruise through the spectacular Rhine Gorge
- Stop in Cochem – the historic centre of the Moselle wine trade
- Take a romantic stroll in the town of Bernkastel
- Tour of Trier – once a key capital of the Roman Empire
- Guided tour of Cologne – and see the stunning Gothic Cathedral
- Services of a cruise director and tour manager
- Standard class reserved seat on Eurostar from London St. Pancras or return flights from selected airports (at a supplement)
- Return rail connections on selected dates from more than 30 regional stations
- Selected departures up to September 2018 and May to October 2019
- Prices are per person, based on two people sharing a twin cabin with a limited number of single cabins available on all decks, at the relevant supplement. The price includes full board from dinner on your day of arrival until breakfast on your final day; if you choose to travel with us on any of the full day excursions by coach, a packed lunch will be provided. Anyone choosing to stay on the ship may of course have lunch in the restaurant; morning/afternoon tea and coffee; all visits and excursions as mentioned in the brochure, airport/station transfers, coach travel as mentioned, travel to and from port of embarkation and the services of a Riviera Travel Tour Manager. Please note that on-board Wi-Fi speeds may vary.
- *Please note there is a £10, £30 or £50 supplement for certain regional stations