Nice, Monaco & the Cote d'Azur
No French region fires the imagination like the Cote d’Azur, with its unique blend of natural beauty, hilltop medieval villages and sophisticated resorts. The Mediterranean coast is at its most magnificent, with blood-red rocky coves and sweeping bays of shimmering azure blue water. Originally Greek, then Roman, Bourbon and Italian, but only French since 1860, all have left outstanding legacies. It became a retreat for 19th century European aristocracy and royalty and attracted many leading composers and artists of the era. Renoir lived in Cagnes; Cocteau in Menton; Chagall and Matisse in Nice; Picasso moved to Antibes. Today, only Paris has more museums than the Côte d’Azur.
- Return flights
- Seven nights in four-star or four-star superior accommodation with breakfast
- Two dinners in carefully selected local restaurants
- Guided walk of Nice with: its fine art; Italianate, fin de siècle buildings and rabbit warren of atmospheric medieval streets and alleys
- Visit and tour of Monaco and Monte Carlo
- Tour of some of France’s most outstanding mountain scenery, the remote Gorges du Loup
- Guided tour of the spectacular Villa Ephrussi, once home to the Rothschild banking dynasty, crammed with amazing art works and surrounded by nine pristine gardens
- Tour of Menton, with its honey-coloured shuttered buildings, Cocteau museum and grave of William Webb Ellis – the ‘inventor’ of Rugby
- Tour the traditional perfumeries in Grasse discovering how some of the world’s finest fragrances are blended
- Visit the delightful medieval harbour town of Antibes, once home to Picasso
- Learn how fruit confit is made, a traditional, still handcrafted local delicacy
- Visit to the charming artists village of St Paul de Vence, final resting place of Marc Chagall
- Services of an experienced tour manager
- The price of this holiday is based on two people sharing a standard twin room. Single, city view and sea/garden view rooms are available at the relevant supplement. The price includes return flights, departure taxes and transfers, seven nights accommodation with breakfast daily and two dinners. All tours as mentioned, a guided walk of Nice and tour of Monaco, entrance and guided tour of the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild and the services of a Riviera Tour Manager. Where the hotel features a swimming pool, pools are open May – Sept weather permitting.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).