Monet’s Garden, The Loire Valley & Fontainebleau
If you are looking to visit one of the most beautiful regions of France, then our tour of the Loire Valley is ideal – indeed, the very name conjures up wonderful images in the mind. The châteaux, the translation ‘castles’ does not do them justice, are magnificent, and you have the opportunity to sample the best of them: Chenonceau, Villandry, Chinon and Amboise. The scenery is stunning too; in fact the valley is also known as The Garden of France and you can see why. Furthermore the harvest here is very rich: plums, apples and grapes – the area is renowned of course for its fine wines, namely Chinon, Rosé d’Anjou, Sauvignon, Vouvray and many more; and the gentle landscapes are warmed by the rich golden colours of the ripening fruit.
History abounds here. Every time you turn a corner you see a reminder of Richard the Lionheart, the Hundred Years’ War or Joan of Arc. Visiting the Loire Valley is like stepping back in time; the sleepy towns are a delight to explore and the local people seem to have time on their hands, stopping to chat to each other or drinking endless coffees in the nearby bars and cafés. You visit the Château of Fontainebleau, set in a vast forest just outside Paris, and famous as the place where Napoleon commenced his journey into exile. You also visit the house, and most importantly the garden of one of France’s most famous sons – Impressionist artist Claude Monet. All this, but there is much, much more so for a unique combination of culture, wine, superb and interesting monuments, châteaux, beautiful scenery and French provincial life at its best, come with us and see.
- Return rail connections available on selected dates from over fifty regional stations and return standard class reserved seat on Eurostar from London St Pancras
- · Six nights with breakfast and two dinners at excellent quality three-star hotels plus dinner in a carefully selected traditional restaurant
- Visit the most beautiful valley in France
- Visit impressionist artist Claude Monet’s home and garden – see the ‘Water Lily’ pond and ‘Japanese Bridge’
- Explore the finest of France’s stunning châteaux; Chinon, Chenonceau, Villandry and Fontainebleau
- Visit Chartres and its stunning gothic cathedral displaying Europe’s finest stained glass
- Visit medieval Tours, royal Amboise and Leonardo da Vinci’s house
- Visit to Saumur and the Ackermann wine cellars
- Guided tour of Fontrevaud Abbey, a stunning UNESCO World Heritage site
- Escorted by one of our experienced tour manager
- The price of this holiday is per person, based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms aresubject to availability at a supplement of £185 per person. The holiday includes return standard classon Eurostar,all coach transfers and transport, six nights’ accommodation with breakfast with two dinners at hotels as mentioned and one dinner at a local restaurant, entrance to Monet’s Garden, Villandry and Leonardo da Vinci’s House; Guided tour ofFontevraud Abbey; Visit to Ackermann wine cellars and the services of a Riviera tour manager.
- Not Included: Entrance to Chenonceau €10, Chinon €8.50, approximate costs, payable locally.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).