For 6,000 years Malta has been at the crossroads of almost all the ancient Mediterranean civilisations and on mention of the island, the immediate thoughts are of the Knights of St John, the Maltese Falcon and the George Cross. With a long and turbulent past and with a language bearing influences of Latin, Arabic and Semitic dialects, it is a unique destination with so much of its past on display. Its temples are the world’s oldest buildings, pre-dating the pyramids by a thousand years. Many visitors to this wonderful island never experience its undiscovered side, but on this tour we feel we have created a superb balance of interests ranging from a wonderfully varied history, unique scenery and atmospheric old towns, all in an ideal destination in which to relax. A Maltese we once met, remarked that the island is like an extended family, which may be a romantic vision, but often that’s just the way it is!
- Guided tour of historic Valletta, city of the Knights of Malta and a baroque masterpiece, including a visit to the Malta Experience
- Tour of the unspoilt island of Gozo
- Visit to Mdina, the atmospheric former capital city during ancient times
- Guided tour of Rabat plus a visit to St. Paul’s Catacombs, burial place of early Christians
- Visit to the Neolithic temples of Ggantija and Hagar Qim, said to be amongst the world’s oldest free-standing structures, pre-dating the pyramids
- Visit to the picturesque fishing port of Marsaxlokk
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
- Return travel from a selection of regional airports and transfers to and from your hotel included
- Seven nights in a choice of four-star superior and four-star accommodation including all local taxes, with breakfast and dinner
- Selected departures from May to October 2019
- The price of this holiday is per person based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms are subject to availability at the relevant supplement. Please see hotel information for details. The price includes return flights to Malta and transfers, airport departure taxes, seven nights’ accommodation with breakfast and dinner, all tours as mentioned, all local accommodation taxes, executive coach travel and the services of a Riviera Travel tour manager.
- Included excursions are: a guided tour of Valetta and a visit to the Malta Experience, a ferry to and tour of Gozo, a visit to Mdina, a guided tour of Rabat and St. Paul’s Catacombs, visits to the temples at Ggantija, Tarxien and a visit to Marsaxlokk.
- Should you wish to visit to the Hypogeum on a free day, you must book well in advance online. The cost is approximately €30. Sundays will always be a free day unless your tour departs on a Saturday or Sunday, in which case Friday will be the free day.
- Please note that where hotels feature a swimming pool, this is open during the summer months according to weather conditions.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).