Lakes & Mountains of Austria
Over 150 years ago, Austria became one of the very first countries to attract visitors travelling for sheer pleasure and when you join us on this tour, you will see the reasons why - it is as near to perfection as you can get! Travellers came for the pristine alpine scenery unavailable at home, crisp clean air, the spicy fragrance of the pine forests and the mirror-like lakes, their reflections magnificently amplifying the visual effect of these stunning vistas. So journey with us to the heart of Europe, where the mighty snow-capped alpine peaks tower above lush green pastures, nourished by the crystal clear melt-water streams, dotted with historic wooden farmhouses with the air, heavy with the sweet scent of newly-mown hay. This is some of the most staggeringly beautiful alpine scenery in the world. As you travel the twisting alpine roads, the views become increasingly impressive with each bend: rising from another verdant, almost manicured pasture, are the striking pink and grey alpine peaks, puncturing the sky above. Studded throughout this staggeringly beautiful scenery are countless picture-postcard villages, crammed with a jumble of traditional iconic wooden houses with their gently sloping roofs and window boxes impossibly full of colourful flowers. This is Austria: a largely rural land of soaring snow-capped mountains, tumbling waterfalls and fairytale castles where legends abound with almost touchable medieval history. Then we have the unique beauty of the Salzkammergut, one of the most naturally spellbinding and stunning lake districts in the world: a breathtaking blend of lofty mountains, lined by tree studded banks and hauntingly calm lakes filling scenic valleys, which resonate with the unmistakable tones of Tyrolean cow-bells echoing over the water.
Austria is so much more than some of the world’s most stupendous scenery, remarkable though it is. Throughout its history it has been home to some of the greatest composers who have ever graced the planet: Haydn, Schubert, Strauss of course, and undoubtedly Mozart, with nowhere typifying this astonishing cultural legacy more than Salzburg. Mozart’s birthplace, this gorgeous city’s ‘old town’ possesses one of the world’s greatest concentrations of baroque architecture and a wonderful genteel atmosphere enhanced by numerous street musicians who keep the city’s amazing musical pedigree alive. The imposing Hohensalzburg fortress, sitting high upon the riverbanks, overlooks the city and completes the scene.
One of the delights of this lovely corner of Europe is its tradition of coffee and cakes, taken in one of the numerous almost regal tea rooms dating from late 18th century, decorated in ochres and browns, using fine silverware and delicate china cups. Try the famous apple strudel and cherry cake, but there are countless others! All made with the finest ingredients, often soaked in one of the delicious liqueurs for which the area is also renowned: they do nothing for your waistline, but plenty for your taste buds! The Austrians are a lovely people and a few still traditionally lederhosen-clad – very much a symbol of regional pride. Well-mannered and friendly, they are genuinely so hospitable to visitors and delight in sharing their country’s heritage, scenery and many other attributes with visitors. It’s called “Gemütlichkeit”, a tradition of which they are justifiably proud.
Personalise Your Holiday
The 'Sound of Music' in Salzburg
For music lovers, Salzburg is the city of Mozart – the birthplace of one of the world’s most beloved composers. What could be more enjoyable than listening to a recital by the renowned Salzburger Schlosskonzerte of some of his most famous works as well as those from some of his contemporaries such as Bach or Beethoven, in the most intimate and stunning of locations – the Marble Hall of the world-famous Mirabell Palace. Considered to be one of the most beautiful and historically significant concert halls in Austria, where the Mozart family performed for the Salzburg royalty, delight in the sound of some of the greatest classical music ever composed, brought to life by these exceptionally talented musicians. Set amidst its wonderful gardens, where several scenes from ‘The Sound of Music’ were filmed, the magnificent baroque 17th century palace, generally not open to the public, has an exquisite marble staircase and magnificent grand ball room. Feel like royalty in this most intimate and glamorous of locations while soaking up the romantic and refined ambience of a very special and unique evening.
Details of the concert dates/performances are listed here
£35 per person.
This cannot be booked online, please call us to pre-book this experience.
- Return scheduled flights
- Seven nights four-star accommodation with breakfast and dinner
- Tour of the Salzkammergut – the stunningly beautiful Austrian Lake District
- New Inclusion: Day 7 -Learn to Yodel in the Alps and receive a diploma
- Visit to St Wolfgang - a perfect Austrian village
- Stay in Kaprun in the heart of the Austrian Alps
- Visit to Europe’s highest waterfalls at Krimml
- Tour of the stunning Alpine Road, taking you to the foot of the Grossglockner, Austria’s highest mountain
- Guided tour of Salzburg, city of Mozart
- 'Personalise Your Holiday' Call us to pre-book your tickets for a classical concert in Salzburg
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
- The price of this holiday is per person based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms are available at a supplement of £125. The price includes return flights, three nights at Hotel Stadtkrug in Salzburg and four nights atDas AlpenHaus in Kaprun, all four-star with dinner bed and breakfast, tour of the Austrian Lake District, guided tour of Salzburg, learn to yodel in the Alps workshop, visit to the Krimml waterfalls, tour to the Grossglockner Mountain, all transport as mentioned, services of a Riviera Tour Manager. Please note Austrian beds are generally one basewith two mattresses and individual bed linen.Where hotels feature an outdoor swimming pool, this will be open summer months, weather permitting.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).