Lake Maggiore, Orta & the Matterhorn
Just as our desire to explore and experience new lands is timeless, so too is the beauty of theItalian Lakes, unfailingly delighting visitors for centuries. Indeed it was the influx of the pioneering British during the days of the Grand Tour, who first brought fame to the majestic Lake Maggiore and helped to create the sophisticated lakeside villages, nestling like pearls on a string, along its picturesque, verbena-clad shores. This wonderful combination of truly awesome Swiss mountain scenery and the tranquillity of the crystal clear Italian Lakes in a montage of splendour, cries out to be explored.
It is very difficult to describe the sheer stunning beauty of the Italian Lakes and it is hardly surprising that so many composers like Verdi and Rossini, plus countless poets and writers have sought peace and inspiration here. Its heady mix of serene, deep waters, fragrant orange blossom and verbena lend their delicate scents to the warm air whilst forest-clad hillsides, typical Italian medieval villages, mouth-watering fresh food and an effervescent people unique on the planet make it hard to beat.
Lake Maggiore itself straddles both Italy and Switzerland, and we stay in Stresa, a very stylish typical Italian town and once a favourite haunt of Hemingway, Chaplin and many others. We explore not only Lake Maggiore, but the equally beautiful Lake Como as well, plus the hidden gem that is Lake Orta, probably one of the most entrancing places you will ever visit. With the arc of the majestic Alps stretching out along the horizon you will enjoy probably the finest mountain scenery in the world during your visits to Switzerland, chic Locarno and dramatic Zermatt, nestling famously at the foot of the mighty Matterhorn, the world’s most charismatic peak. Then there are the delightful lost valleys, tumbling glacier streams and classic chalet scenes all blended together to offer a truly inspirational tour.
- Cruise to the enchanting islands visiting Isola Pescatori and Isola Bella, with a guided tour of its 17th century baroque villa with entrance fees included
- Full day tour travelling through the Simplon Pass to Zermatt in the Swiss Alps seeing the Matterhorn, probably the world’s most instantly recognisable peak
- Full day tour to shimmering Lake Como, described by Wordsworth as ‘a treasure the world keeps to itself’
- Full day tour visiting Cannobio and Locarno with a journey on the famous Centovalli railway
- Visit to one of Italy’s most romantic lakes, charming Lake Orta and the delightful 14th century medieval village Orta San Giulio
- Option to join a complimentary guided walk
- Escorted by an experienced tour manager
- Seven nights in a choice of conveniently located four-star accommodation including all local taxes, with breakfast and dinner
- Return travel from a selection of regional airports and transfers to and from your hotel included
- Selected departures from April to October 2019
- The price of this holiday is per person based on two people sharing a twin room. Single and lake view rooms are subject to availability at the relevant supplement. The price includes return flights, seven nights’ accommodation with breakfast and dinner, all local taxes and transfers, all tours as mentioned, entrance to Borromeo Villa and Gardens, and the services of a Riviera Travel tour manager.
- Not included is the optional cable car ride to the Matterhorn. The approximate cost is £70 and is payable locally.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).