Jordan & Petra
Think of Jordan and inevitably what springs to mind is the remarkable ancient city of Petra, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World and the terminus of the silk-road from China and the caravan routes from Africa, Egypt and Persia. Its people, the Nabateans, amassed fabulous wealth as traders ‘par excellence’ between exotic lands and the rich markets of the Roman Empire. Reached on foot through a narrow gorge with vertical walls of rock on either side, your first glimpse of the famous Treasury carved into the cliff quite literally takes your breath away! We also visit the legendary landscape of Wadi Rum: this fierce untamed sea of red sand, a dramatic valley cut into sandstone and granite rock, rising 800 metres above the desert floor, interspersed with ‘islands’ of massive peaks. This is truly a majestic sight and was the backdrop to Lawrence’s campaign against the Turks with the vivid film ‘Lawrence of Arabia’, beautifully shot on location here.
But Jordan still has much more to discover: we stay for two nights by the shores of the Dead Sea, visiting the 12th century Shobakcrusader castle, Mount Nebo from where Moses saw the Promised Land, the baptismal site of Bethany on the Jordan River and the ancient roman city of Jerash. Jordan is a mesmerising and extraordinary kaleidoscope of cultures, sights, sounds and architecture - and an utterly unforgettable tour!
- Return scheduled flights from London Heathrow
- Six nights accommodation in hand-picked three and four-star hotels with breakfast
- Guided tour of the amazing ‘Rose-red’ city of Petra - one of the new ‘Wonders of the World’
- Visit the heart of Wadi Rum and the staggeringly beautiful ‘Seven Pillars of Wisdom’, made famous by Lawrence of Arabia, plus the unique opportunity to stay overnight in a Bedouin camp
- Stay by the shores of the Dead Sea, the lowest point on earth
- Guided tour of the remarkably preserved ancient Roman city of Jerash
- Visit the biblical sites of Mount Nebo where Moses saw the Promised Land, and Bethany where Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
- The price of this holiday is per person based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms are subject to availability at the relevant supplement of £229 per person. Six nights accommodation with breakfast, return direct scheduled flights, two-day entrance and guided tour of Petra, visit to Little Petra, 4x4 drive in Wadi Rum with lunch at a Bedouin camp, visits to Shobak Castle, Mount Nebo, the Madaba mosaics, Bethany and Jerash with the Roman army and chariot race experience, return transfers and porterage of one item per passenger. All tours include the services of an experiencedRiviera tour manager.
- All UK passport holders travelling together as a group to Jordan require a visa which is provided free of charge on arrival.