Heidelberg, Medieval Cities of the Main Valley and the Romantic Road
Selected departures June to September 2017 & May to September 2018
Many people think they know Germany but on a closer examination are delightfully surprised by its iconic historic cities, expansive rolling countryside, fairy-tale castles and magnificent buildings, delightful and perfectly preserved medieval villages plus the warmth and vivacity of it’s people. On this tour we explore one of its most fascinating regions and one which displays these qualities in abundance, bordered by three of the continent’s most stunningly beautiful rivers - the Main, Neckar and Danube - and punctuated by several of its most astonishing cultural gems.
We explore what is known loosely as the ‘Romantic Road’ which is more of a collective description rather than an exact route and so described because of its near-perfect blend of the aforesaid attributes. The true wonders here are the extraordinarily preserved medieval town of Rothenburg, the beautiful cities of Wurzburg and Bamberg plus Heidelberg, interspaced by wonderfully unspoilt countryside studded with sleepy medieval villages like Miltenberg all dominated by half-ruined castles seemingly perched atop every hillside.
This was the very heart of Europe throughout the Middle Ages from Charlemagne’s time and the Holy Roman Empire when the legendary chivalric order of the Teutonic Knights held sway, through the great Baroque movement of the 17th century and on into the modern era. You will just love exploring the hidden corners and cobbled streets of Rothenburg itself, lined with overhanging half-timbered, almost doll-like houses of the old medieval quarters, surrounded by the atmospheric ramparts and turrets of this astoundingly preserved medieval town. You’ll marvel at the wealth of magnificent religious edifices crowned by the majestic Gothic cathedral of Bamberg, the stunning vista of “pink” sandstone that is the great castle in Heidelberg and the cultural crescendo reached when you gaze in awe at the sumptuous glory of the wonderfully restored Residenz Palace in Wurzburg, built to rival Versailles with its opulence and fine art.
You will be amazed by this corner of Germany and its plethora of truly fascinating places in an area yet to be discovered by the majority.
- Return flights
- Five nights in four-star accommodation, including all local taxes, with breakfast and dinner
- Guided tour of baroque Heidelberg, seat of one of Europe’s oldest and most prestigious universities
- Discover the Romantic Road, its bucolic scenery plus picturesque and beautiful 16th century Rothenburg
- Tour of the Residenze in Wurzburg, one of Europe’s most richly decorated 18th century palaces and city of the Prince Bishops
- Guided tour of Bamberg, one of Europe’s most beautiful small cities
- Explore the picturesque river Main and its delightful medieval towns of Miltenberg and Wertheim
- Escorted by experienced Tour Manager
- The price of this holiday is per person, based on two people sharing a twin room. Single roomsare subject to availability at the relevant supplement. The price includes five nights’four-star accommodation with breakfast and fivedinners,all local taxes, return flights, airport departure taxes andtransfers, all touring and the services of a Riviera Travel tour manager.
- Included excursions are: sightseeing tours of Bamberg and Heidelberg, entrance and tour of Würzburg ‘Residenz',
- Please note that in Germany twin beds are often one base with two mattresses and individual ben linen.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).