Cruise the Heart of Europe - MS Thomas Hardy
Experience an incredible variety of medieval towns and imperial cities, from quintessential Bamberg to classical Vienna, with their wealth of cultural treasures plus the world-famous scenery of the dramatic Rhine Gorge. This fifteen-day river cruisetakes you on an amazing journey from Cologne in the heart of the Rhine valley to Vienna and finally Budapest on the banks of the Danube. Your floating accommodation will be one of the most luxurious vessels cruising the inland waterways of Europe. You will be suitably impressed with the high quality, sumptuous accommodation and simply delicious cuisine in such stylish and relaxing surroundings.
Our journey south takes in so many incredible visits and sites starting in Koblenz and then onto the picturesque town of Boppard, continuing through the stunning Rhine Gorge and onto beautiful Rudesheim, one of the most famous wine towns on the Rhine. Next, we cruise to Mainz and then along the river Main to Miltenberg, one of Germany’s best-preserved medieval villages.
The river cruise continues towards Wurzburg situated at the head of Germany’s ‘Romantic Road’ where we have a walking tour and time to visit the amazing baroque palace. Next day it’s onto Bamberg, quite simply one of the most beautiful small towns in Europe and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Having seen so much we are still only at our halfway point on our river cruise. Next we berth in Nuremberg for a guided tour of this historic city, probably most remembered as the location of the trials at the end of WWII. From here we pass through the Main-Danube canal to the picturesque river Danube, one of the most romantic and beautiful rivers in the world, and our first stop, Regensburg.
Over the next five days we take in so much that Bavaria, Austria and Hungary can offer. We stop in Passau and then onto Melk and culminate our time in Austria in classical Vienna, home of Strauss and many great composers. This city offers up so much wonderful architecture as well as a host of other things to see including the Spanish riding school.
Cruising into Hungary, we soon arrive in imperial Budapest, straddling the picturesque Danube. After a guided tour of this palatial city we spend the evening on board, where the Captain hosts another spectacular dinner, an excellent finale to this most comprehensive and yet relaxing cruise.
- Admire the stunning scenery of the Rhine Gorge, Main and Danube
- Guided tour of 2,000 year-old Koblenz
- Stop in picturesque Boppard, Rüdesheim, Mainz and Passau.
- See Miltenberg, Wertheim, Melk Abbey and Regensburg
- Guided tours of baroque Würzburg, Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest
- Walking tour of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Bamberg
- Tour of Nuremberg - steeped in ancient and modern history - Including visit of the site of the infamous Nuremberg Trials and Nazi rally grounds
- Live classical quartet recital on board
- Price includes full-board from dinner on your day of arrival until breakfast on your final day
- Standard class one way reserved seat on Eurostar from London St. Pancras with return flight or return flights from selected airports (at a supplement)
- Departures from April to October 2019
- Prices are per person, based on two people sharing a twin cabin with a limited number of single cabins available on all decks, at the relevant supplement. The price includes full board from dinner on your day of arrival until breakfast on your final day; if you choose to travel with us on any of the full day excursions by coach, a packed lunch will be provided. Anyone choosing to stay on the ship may of course have lunch in the restaurant; morning/afternoon tea and coffee; all visits and excursions as mentioned in the brochure, airport transfers, coach travel as mentioned, travel to and from port of embarkation and the services of a Riviera Travel Tour Manager.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).