Cochem, Luxembourg & The Moselle Valley
Our tour to the Moselle Valley is something rather special: it visits places you may well have heard of together with perhaps those you have not, covering a wide variety of interests. We see the medieval ‘olde worlde’ charm of Aachen, birthplace of the Frankish Empire whose ruler, Charlemagne tried to unite Europe, becoming the first Holy Roman Emperor and which is now a lovely city in its own right and Trier – Germany’s oldest city dating from Roman times, capital of their Western Empire with the best preserved remains from Classical antiquity in northern Europe. We also enjoy a visit to Luxembourg, a tiny country with a big history. Its capital, Luxembourg City, occupies a dramatic position high on a cliff bearing down on the lower town below. The city is a melting pot of European influences as Germanic and Latin legacies have left their mark on its people and culture.
Then there is the Moselle Valley itself – it really is superb, gentle slopes covered in vines with imposing half-ruined castles seemingly crowning every summit, picturesque villages with half-timbered houses and picture-postcard, medieval towns such as our base, Cochem nestle on every sweeping bend in the majestic Moselle River. The extensive vineyards yield a rich harvest which in turn produces some of the world’s finest wines: Piesporter, Wehlener Sonnenuhr and many more. The people are open and friendly and you may well catch sight of a typical brass band which nearly every town has - a real spectacle of noise, colour and fun! So for a relaxing holiday come and see for yourself, some of the most interesting sights and beautiful scenery in Europe.
- Six nights at excellently located three-star and three-star superior hotels, with breakfast and dinner
- Guided tour of Aachen – capital of Charlemagne and the Holy Roman Empire
- Stay in the heart of picture-perfect Cochem with the Moselle to the front and the medieval old town to the rear
- Guided orientation tour of Cochem and visit to mighty Reichsburg Castle
- Visit to Koblenz – majestically situated at the confluence of both the Moselle and Rhine rivers
- Visit Luxembourg’s fortified capital city, perched atop sheer cliffs
- Guided tour of Bitburger Brewery, one of the Moselle’s best regarded exports
- Visit to Bernkastel, probably the valley’s most picturesque town
- Visit Trier, Germany’s oldest city, with the finest Roman monuments north of the Alps
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
- Return rail connections available on selected dates from over fifty regional stations
- Return standard class reserved seat on Eurostar from London St. Pancras. Upgrades available at a supplement
- The price of this holiday is per person, based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms are available at a supplement of £109 per person. The price includes return standard class Eurostar, six nights’ accommodation including breakfast and dinner, entrance to Bitburger brewery, all coach transfers and tours as described and the services of a Riviera tour manager. NOT INCLUDED River cruise from €13, wine tasting €10, approximate costs, payable locally.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).