Berlin, Dresden, Meissen & Colditz
On this intriguingly varied tour, we experience two of Europe’s greatest cultural cities, Berlin and Dresden. Both have endured violent interludes in otherwise glittering histories and have now returned to their former glory at the heart of 21st- century Europe. The outpouring of joy and energy that accompanied the fall of the Berlin Wall nearly 30 years ago rekindled Berlin’s legendary vibrancy, and this modern city throbs with new life while doffing its cap respectfully to the past. Iconic locations abound – from Checkpoint Charlie with its spy stories, to the magnificent avenue of Unter den Linden with its many cafés and museums. Here we also see the Brandenburg Gate and the instantly recognisable Reichstag, symbol of the new Germany.
Perhaps more sedate than Berlin, Dresden is a cultural jewel reborn as a beacon of hope and peace, revelling in the renewed splendour of its architecture, opera and museums. Before the last war it was Germany’s most beautiful city thanks to its imposing Baroque buildings and many art treasures. After huge bomb damage, Dresden has been almost completely restored as part of an extraordinary restoration project spanning 60 years, – and the results are breathtaking. But there is much more to this tour than these two re-energised cities as we experience Germany’s traditional side through its rolling countryside, small towns and picturesque villages.
There will also be reminders of old East Germany, including an occasional Trabant, the still sought-after car that is so associated with the period. We explore the medieval town of Meissen, where highly skilled artisans craft exquisite porcelain in the only factory in Europe where the process is still completed entirely by hand. Finally, and in complete contrast to picturesque Meissen, we visit Colditz Castle, the infamous prisoner of war camp for serial would-be escapees – inmates included the legless fighter pilot Douglas Bader. This is a tour that reveals Germany’s delightful contrasts, from its vibrant modern cities to its charming rural landscapes, and lets you experience the past, present and future of this remarkable country.
This tour can operate in reverse staying first in Dresden for two nights followed by two nights in Berlin.You will experience the same tours and visits.
- Tour of Berlin, home to Norman Foster’s Reichstag, ‘Check Point Charlie’, the DDR (former East Germany) Museum, and some of the world’s finest archaeological and fine art museums
- Walking tour of Dresden, ‘Florence of the Elbe’, home to one of the world’s greatest art collections, formerly capital of the Kings of Saxony
- Visit Meissen and take a guided tour of the world-famous porcelain studio
- Guided tour of Colditz Castle of Second World War prisoner of war fame – with entrance fees included
- Four nights in conveniently located accommodation rated four-star superior, including all local taxes, with breakfast
- Return travel from a selection of regional airports and transfers to and from your hotel included
- Departures available exclusively for solo travellers
- Selected departures from April to October 2019
- The price of this holiday is per person based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms are available at the relevant supplement. The price includes return flights, four nights’ accommodation in four star superior hotels with breakfast, all touring as mentioned, all local accommodation taxes, transfers to and from the hotels and the services of a Riviera Travel tour manager.
- Included excursions are a guided tour of Berlin, a walking tour of Dresden, entrance to and a guided tour of Colditz Castle and museum, entrance to and a guided tour of Meissen porcelain factory.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).