Berlin, Dresden, Meissen & Colditz
On this intriguingly varied tour, we visit two of Europe’s great cultural cities, Berlin and Dresden, both having endured violent interludes in an otherwise glittering history and now returned to their former glory at the heart of the new Europe of the 21st century. The outpouring of joy and energy that accompanied the fall of the Berlin Wall now staggeringly over twenty years ago, has rekindled Berlin’s legendary vibrancy and the city throbs with new life whilst doffing its cap respectfully to the lessons of the past. Here iconic locations abound from the spy stories of checkpoint Charlie to the magnificent avenue of Unter den Linden with its thriving cafés and magnificent museums, the great monuments of the Brandenburg Gate and the instantly recognisable Reichstag – symbol of the new Germany. Dresden is perhaps more sedate yet equally revelling in its renewed splendour, its architecture, opera and museums a cultural jewel reborn as a beacon for hope and peace. Before the last war it was Germany’s most beautiful city due to its amazing art treasures and imposing baroque buildings. After huge bomb damage, it has now been almost completely restored after one of the world’s most extensive such projects ever undertaken, spanning over 60 years, but the results are magnificent.
The Zwinger Palace, opulent residence of the Kings of Saxony, houses one of the world’s most extensive art collections; the Semper Opera House is stunning, and probably the finest of them all, the Frauenkirche, is the final major building to have been rebuilt. But our tour is much more than two cultural cities, magnificent though they are. We experience the traditional Germany of small towns and picturesque villages too, rolling countryside plus reminders of the former East Germany even the occasional ‘Trabant’ – and, as you would probably expect, these distinctive cars are rapidly becoming collector’s items! Another face of Germany is medieval Meissen where the most stunningly beautiful porcelain is crafted by highly skilled artisans in the only factory in Europe where the processes are still completed entirely by hand. Finally and in complete contrast we visit Colditz Castle, the famous Second World War Prisoner of War camp for serial would-be escapees including the legless fighter pilot Douglas Bader. This tour contains some fascinating insights to Germany, its vibrant and remarkable cities; striking countryside; and its past, present and future.
Personalise Your Holiday
Trabi safari in Berlin
Experience this eclecticcapital from a truly unique perspective -behind the wheel of the official car of the DDR, the Trabant, affectionately known by the locals as a Trabi. Take a trundle back in time through Berlin's cobbled streets in convoy with a colourful string of these much-loved cars on a Trabi Safari. After a short introduction to the four-stroke, and manual gear box, and some pointers on how to get the most out of your ride, follow the guide carout on the streets and back in time for a potentiallyhair raising and trulyunforgettable experience.
Price from £90 per person. A minimum number of guests is required. This cannot be booked online, please call us to pre-book this experience.
- Return flights
- Four nights four-star superior accommodation with breakfast
- Guided tour of Berlin, rapidly becoming one of the world’s most fascinating cities
- Walking tour of Dresden, ‘Florence of the Elbe’, home to one of the world’s greatest art collections, formerly capital of the Kings of Saxony
- Visit and tour of the Meissen porcelain studio
- Visit to Colditz Castle of Second World War prisoner of war fame
- 'Personalise Your Holiday'Trabi Safari in Berlin, Take a ride back in time behind the wheel of the Trabant, the official car of the DDR, known by locals as a Trabi.Call us to pre-book this experience.
- Escorted by our experienced tour manager
- The price of this holiday is per person based on two people sharing a twin room. Single rooms areavailable at a supplement of £109 per person. The price includes return flights, two nights at both theHotel Maritim in Berlin or the Hotel Maritim Pro Arte in Berlin and the Hotel Steigenberger De Saxe or the Hotel Maritim in Dresden withbreakfast,return transfers, guided tour of Berlin, walking tour of Dresden, visit and tour of ColditzCastle and museum, visit and tour of Meissen porcelain factory, all touring as mentioned, services ofa Riviera tour manager. Please note: some dates will operate in reverse to the itinerary as published on this website. These dates will stay first in Dresden for two nights followed by two nights in Berlin.You will experience the same tours and visits
- Not included
- Trabi Safari in Berlin. From £90 per person - See'Personalise Your Holiday' section for details.
Holiday Provided By
Please click here to view the Terms and Conditions of travel (this link opens in a new window).